When you consume media, whether it’s watching a TV show, playing a video game, or reading an article online, and looking at an a billboard, poster or online/magazine ad, ask yourself and your kids these 5 key questions:
1. Who sent this message? (gives background/context)
2. What techniques are used to attract my attention? (artistically? flashy?)
3. How might other people understand this message? (different perspectives)
4. What values, lifestyles, and points of view are represented in or omitted from this message? (slant)
5. Why was this message sent? (gain profit/power/influence?)
Discussing these questions with your children along with the values you set will help them begin to deconstruct messages and discern the types of media they should entertain themselves with.